Our Sustainability Policy is based upon the following principles:
- To comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
- To integrate sustainability considerations into all our business decisions.
To ensure that all staff are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- To minimise the impact on sustainability of all office and transport activities.
- To make clients and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy, and encourage them to adopt sound sustainable management practices.
- To review, annually report, and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
GLL have always recognised that working in and around peoples homes is more than just maintenance. It is about improving peoples lives to give them and the communities they live in a better standard of living and in turn a more sustainable future. We want a sustainable future for our company and our staff and recognise helping communities to benefit through environmental, social and economic betterment helps us become a better more socially responsible business.
To achieve this we need to share and encourage our clients, supply chain and consultant partners to adopt a similar approach with shared values and help us deliver practical solutions to our customers.
Our long-term sustainability objectives are to:
- • Reduce the environmental impact of the service that we provide
- • Reduce the impact of our service on the communities in which we work
- • Halve our waste to landfill by end 2012 (based on 2008 baseline)
- • Reduce our carbon emissions by 30% by end 2012 (based on 2007 baseline)
- • Improve the competence of our staff, with 75% of staff to achieve NVQ level 2 or equivalent by end 2012
- • Support industry development initiatives such as Construction Ambassadors.
To help deliver these sustainability objectives we shall:
- • Support the development of our industry and building standards through membership of our relevant UK Sustainability Groups
- • Develop exemplar services that demonstrate practical approaches to improving the sustainability of the built environment
- • Continue to reduce the impact of our business on the environment through
implementation of our Environmental Policy and supporting annual Environmental
Objectives and Targets
- • Improve the economic sustainability of the communities in which we work through the use of local contractors and suppliers
- • Maintain our support for the WRAP ‘Halve Waste to Landfill’ voluntary programme
- • Actively support local skills initiatives and seek local apprentices and employees
Our policy is reviewed annually, taking account of changes in relevant legislation, current best practice and our experiences.